- Pascal Wehrlein, Mercedes: I really enjoyed today; it was a great day. The first time in this car and the second time in a Formula One car; I had a lot of fun. We completed our planned test programme and there were no problems. The change between a DTM car and a Formula One car is a big difference, so this was the biggest challenge today, particularly with the brakes. It’s a fantastic racing car; it’s good to see myself quickest but at the end of the day it doesn’t matter as everyone has a different test programme. The important thing was that I was able to improve a lot during the day and complete the full test programme. I’ve been in the simulator since the beginning of the year and I enjoy the work there, so I hope to continue that in 2015 to be able to learn even more. This test will certainly help with the feedback there too.
- Raffaele Marciello, Ferrari: Today was a dream come true. For an Italian, to jump into a Ferrari, at an official test no less, is a really strong emotion and I am grateful to the team for giving me this opportunity. You can really feel the difference, compared to a GP2 car, especially in terms of engine power and the braking force. This being my first time at the wheel of an F14 T, I had to gradually adapt my driving style, but in general, I felt comfortable and I hope I helped the team gather useful data. It was impossible not to think about Jules: he and I joined the Ferrari Driver Academy at the same time and if I am here today, it’s in part because he is not. Jules taught me to always push myself to the limit and here today, I tried to do that for him.
- Max Verstappen, Toro Rosso: We had a very good morning with a lot of running, which allowed us to test quite a few new things on the car in preparation for next year. We had the possibility to go through the intense programme that we had planned, to catch up from yesterday without delays or hitches. I really enjoyed spending four hours without getting out of the car; it was a great feeling. Unfortunately in the afternoon we had a Power Unit issue which stopped us for quite a while, but we managed to fix the problem in time to go out again before the end of the session, getting some more useful driving time. I want to thank the team for everything they have done to make these two days a great start to the new season together.
- Marcus Ericsson, Sauber: I have had two great testing days with just a few problems. We have completed a productive test programme over both days, and we have covered almost everything we had planned. I had a good time getting to know the people within the team, and starting to work with everyone. Starting to drive the C33, building my feeling for the car, and giving my input for next year’s car was important. Overall, we had two constructive test days. Today we continued to work on different set-ups, aero measurements and tire evolutions, which will be beneficial for next year. This was a good start. Now I am even more motivated to work extremely hard with the team over the winter to be prepared for the first test.
- Will Stevens, Caterham:
Today’s been another very good day. We started to do our performance runs at the end of the day – I managed to get one run in and put a good lap time on the board, but we unfortunately had a small issue when I was on a better lap. Having said that, we cannot complain about the reliability here in Abu Dhabi, it’s been a trouble-free week. I’ve learned so much over the weekend and the past two days, I’ve got to the point where I now feel very comfortable in the car. Looking back, I wish I could have the race weekend beginning now, after these two days – I’ve definitely made the most of this test. I’ve had a great time and it’s very nice to be able to say that I’ve raced in my first F1 Grand Prix – I didn’t make any silly mistakes, learned a lot, enjoyed every second and did a good job. It’s been a great week and I want to thank both the team and the fans for giving me this opportunity. Now let’s wait and see what the future brings.
- Spike Goddard, Force India: I felt today went really well. The VJM07 is a massive step up from my Formula 3 car so the first part of the day was devoted to adjusting to the new machinery. The power and downforce of these cars is something on a completely different level; it was a massive shock to the system, but I got used to it fairly soon. We chipped away at the lap time in every run and in the end we got to a pretty good time and 89 laps, which is a fair bit of running. I am pretty happy about the work I did with the team and the way everyone worked with me. I’d love to keep a link with Sahara Force India: it’s a fantastic group of people and I’d like to contribute and help as much as I can.
- Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull: Today was pretty good. Obviously we got cut short by a couple of hours and it would have been nice to finish the session, but we did a lot of laps and all of those were productive. There was a little bit of work with this year’s tires and a bit with next year’s, trying to understand how those behave. We also did quite a few things on starts, trying to understand what’s happening there, which was positive. I felt pretty good in the car. It’s a good way to end the season, we achieved a lot. Now that’s it, a bit of time off and look forward to next season.
- Felipe Nasr, Williams: Today was really good day; it’s always nice to drive the FW36 and to have the chance to drive it on the final day of 2014 was very enjoyable. The focus of the day was on the 2015 tyres and longer runs, and we learnt a lot about how the tyre wears over a long distance as we covered nearly a full race distance. I have to say a big thank you to the whole team for the opportunities they have given me this year and I wish them all the best for the future.
- Alex Lynn, Lotus: I am very grateful to Lotus F1 Team for giving me my first opportunity to drive a Formula 1 car and I’m glad I was able to deliver what they wanted from me today. It felt so good to be behind the wheel of the E22 as it reacts so well and does everything you want it to. It was an impressive programme we ran through with many different evaluations. The team were really helpful and it was a fantastic day all round. I can’t wait for my next opportunity to drive a Formula 1 car.
- Esteban Ocon, Lotus: The test session went well today. I have had more time to discover the limits of the car as I already knew the E22 having driven it in Free Practice 1 during the Grand Prix weekend. We ran through most of the planned programme, but unfortunately I didn’t get to test the 2015 tires which were planned for late in my session. We still achieved good mileage in the morning and I feel my understanding of the car is improving all the time. I received great feedback from the team, which is a great positive for me.
- Stoffel Vandoorne, McLaren: No comments.